<p>London [UK], Jul 2 (ANI): British tennis ace Andy Murray announced that he will not participate in the Wimbledon due to a hip injury.</p><p>In a Facebook post, Murray wrote, "It is with a heavy heart that I'm announcing that I'll be withdrawing from Wimbledon this year."</p><p>"I've made significant progress in practice and matches over the last ten days, but after lengthy discussions with my team, we've decided that playing best of five set matches might be a bit too soon in the recovery process. We did everything we could to try to be ready in time," he added.</p><p>The 31-year-old further said that he would start practising from Monday for the US hardcourt season.</p><p>Meanwhile, Chinese Taipei player Jason Jung will replace Murray in the draw and will lock horns with France's Benoit Paire on Tuesday, ESPN reported.</p><p>Murray, who returned to the Queen's Club Championships two weeks ago, said that he was doubtful about his comeback, but was ready for the Wimbledon challenge.</p><p>"I'm pumped. Four or five weeks ago, I didn't know whether I'd be capable of competing at a level I'd be happy with. I think the past couple of weeks have been beneficial. I don't think I played amazing in the matches, but I think I've done well, considering the opponents, the level of the guys that I've played against," he said.</p><p>Murray is a two-time Wimbledon champion, who defeated Serbia's Novak Djokovic in 2013, and Milos Raonic of Canada in straight sets in 2016.</p><p>During his victory in 2013, he became the first British Wimbledon champion in 77 years. (ANI)</p><br/><center><em><p>This story has not been edited. It has been published as provided by ANI</p></em></center>
from sports https://ift.tt/2MIBu37
Post Top Ad
Wednesday, 4 July 2018
'Heavy-hearted' Murray withdraws from Wimbledon
Tags
# ABP News Sports sports
Share This
About sdas126
ABP News Sports sports
Labels:
ABP News Sports sports
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post Bottom Ad
Responsive Ads Here
No comments:
Post a Comment